Science Educator (Driving Discovery) (Bilingual)
Department: Science Education
Supervisor: Manager, Science Education
Position Category: Full Time (1-year Contract with possibility of renewal)
Working Hours: 35 hours per week (may be required to work some evenings and weekends)
Application Deadline: February 25, 2020
(Note: The position is subject to the terms and conditions of a collective agreement between Unifor and Discovery Centre)
The Science Educator’s role is to plan, develop, implement and deliver the Driving Discovery program, an inquiry-based program for grades 7 and 8 classrooms across the province. The Science Educator is responsible for building educational materials within the NS Department of Education and Early Childhood Development’s online environment and providing teacher professional development related to the Driving Discovery program. Travel within the province of Nova Scotia will be a significant part of this role.
Working as a member of the Science Education team, the Science Educator (Driving Discovery) will consistently deliver excellent program facilitation in keeping with Discovery Centre standards. The incumbent also assists in program scheduling and educational media initiatives that help to promote the Discovery Centre and increase the Centre’s community awareness.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Works as part of the Science Education team to develop engaging inquiry-based workshops that will inspire scientific literacy in young people and encourage creative problem solving
- Travels to schools and communities across Nova Scotia, delivering the Driving Discovery program in both French and English, promoting science education, inquiry-based learning, and upholding Discovery Centre’s mission
- Schedules Driving Discovery program initiatives in consultation with the Science Education team
- Liaises with Driving Discovery program partners, including the NS Department of Education and Early Childhood Development, and communicates directly with provincial educators, providing Professional Development
- Reports regularly on program initiatives, statistics, and outcomes
- Assists Science Education team with educational programs, public programming and registration-based programs (camps, educator showcases, PD sessions)
- Ensures the safe and responsible use of chemicals and materials while adhering to safety procedures; cleans, stocks, and maintains supplies
- Vehicle maintenance, reporting, restocking and refuelling
- Contributes to the department by performing other duties on occasion (weekend, evening events and programming as needed)
Relationships & Significant Contacts
Working in a team environment, the Science Educator (Driving Discovery) collaborates to provide exciting inquiry-based educational experiences for students, teachers, visitors and the community.
The Science Educator (Driving Discovery) will be required to liaise with Department of Education and Early Childhood Development officials, school administrators, teachers and students; visitors and special guests; group leaders and chaperones; and the media. They may also be required to communicate, with members of the scientific community; members of partner organizations and other external stakeholders.
The Science Educator (Driving Discovery) may be required to work beyond core business hours which may include evenings, weekends and holidays and is required to be flexible in fulfilling required shifts within the agreement between the incumbent and Manager of Science Education.
- Affinity for science with a familiarity of inquiry-based learning
- French/ English bilingual required
- Dynamic teaching and presentation skills
- Ability to work under minimal supervision
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Willing to work flexible hours
- Highly organized
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Computer literate, with experience with MS Office and Google Classroom
- Standard First Aid Certificate
- Clean driving record
Application deadline is February 25, 2020. Submit your application to the attention of Linda Laurence, Director, Human Resources, 1215 Lower Water Street, Halifax NS B3J 3S8. Please email resume or Fax to (902)492-3170. Please name electronic documents with your name included (eg. jane_doe_resume.doc). All applicants are thanked for their interest. Only applicants chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Discovery Centre promotes equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and embraces diversity. The Centre is committed to equity in its policies, practices, and programs, supports diversity in its work environment, and ensures that applications for members of underrepresented groups are considered for employment with the Centre.