Customer Service Representative- Weekdays
Department: Marketing and Sales
Supervisors: Director, Marketing & Sales and Customer Relations Coordinator
Position Category: Part Time/Casual
Working Hours: Variable, must be able to work weekends and evenings as required
Application Deadline: August 30, 2019
(Note: The position is subject to the terms and conditions of a collective agreement between Unifor and Discovery Centre)
Are you an outgoing and enthusiastic team member with strong administrative abilities and a drive to provide exceptional customer service? The Discovery Centre, Halifax’s newest, world-class attraction, is looking for you to join its team as a full or part-time Customer Service Representative.
The Customer Service Representative is a valued member of our front desk team responsible for representing the Discovery Centre in a positive, friendly and outgoing manner. The successful candidate must enjoy interactions with a variety of visitors to the Centre and be comfortable delivering applicable information clearly and positively. The Customer Service Representative must be diplomatic and understanding while receiving customer feedback and work well under pressure with large crowds during peak times. This team member should also have experience and drive for retail sales to manage inventory, merchandising and maximize revenues in the onsite gift shop. The Customer Service Representative should be ready to thrive in a dynamic team environment and deliver a positive first impression to visitors in person, by phone or via online communication.
- Greeting and welcoming visitors in a professional and friendly manner
- Communicating clearly in-person, by phone, in e-mail and letters with a variety of audiences to address standard operational and directional questions and to assist in a friendly & courteous manner
- Providing strong administration support with POS processing, booking, payments and receipts
- Supporting the Discovery Shop through inventory management, merchandising, sales promotion and processing store merchandise through the POS system
- Staying current with all Centre activities including, but not limited to, educational & public programs, exhibits, birthday parties, special events, group visits & corporate packages and is completely conversant in all pertinent details such as dates, times, costs, registration processes and requirements
- Be knowledgeable on Discovery Centre memberships and be able to process memberships applications
- Assisting with group/school/birthday party/camp bookings/arrivals/departures
- Processing payments and completing daily cash opening & closing procedures
- Maintaining the front desk and reception area in an organized and clutter-free manner
Skills & Qualifications
- Passion for science & technology
- Post-secondary education
- A minimum of two years’ experience in retail, customer service or sales role
- Administrative experience, organized and detail-oriented
- Demonstrated organizational skills and financial management skills
- Ability to maintain composure and positive customer service while under pressure
- Creative and responsive in problem-solving situations
- Must work well in a team environment
- Adaptable to changing conditions in the workplace
- Computer skills – Microsoft Office – Word, Excel, Access, E-mail, Web literate, Raisers Edge or other CRM
- Bilingual preferred (French/English)
Application deadline is August 30, 2019. Submit your application to the attention of Linda Laurence, Director, Human Resources, 1215 Lower Water Street, Halifax NS B3J 3S8. Please email resume or Fax to (902)492-3170. Please name electronic documents with your name included (eg. jane_doe_resume.doc). All applicants are thanked for their interest. Only applicants chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Discovery Centre promotes equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and embraces diversity. The Centre is committed to equity in its policies, practices, and programs, supports diversity in its work environment, and ensures that applications for members of underrepresented groups are considered for employment with the Centre.