T. rex Takeover the Discovery Centre
The Discovery Centre launches its new Featured Exhibit, Tyrannosaurs: Meet the Family on Monday, May 29th on its premiere tour of North America, only its second viewing in Canada.
The exhibition showcases a captivating array of dinosaur skeletons and fossil specimens, including ‘Scotty’ the Tyrannosaurus rex, alongside innovative multimedia exhibits which will bring the lives of these ancient creatures to life.
An augmented reality display will transport dinosaurs into the gallery, allowing families to interact with members of the tyrannosaur family via a live video feed. Large-scale immersive projections will show tyrannosaurs running across a waterfront boardwalk and another interactive exhibit will allow kids to test their arm strength against that of a Tyrannosaurus rex.
Featuring life-size skeletons, including a Tyrannosaurus rex, Albertosaurus, Dilong and Daspletosaurus and a range of fossils including a Gorgosaurus half skeleton and jaw, tooth, claw, hip and tibia specimens, the exhibition will provide an extraordinary opportunity to understand the previously untold stories behind the lives of these dinosaurs.
“In the last twelve years, exciting discoveries have brought to light the relationship between birds and dinosaurs,” said Zabrina Prescott, Visitor Experience Developer, Discovery Centre. “While T. rex might be the first Tyrannosaur people think of, there is a whole family of predatory dinosaurs to learn about, many of which have only recently been discovered. Tyrannosaurs: Meet the Family is the first exhibition in Nova Scotia to feature some of this new information and includes many interactive features that will inspire curiosity, exploration, and innovation in visitors of all ages.”
Since opening at their new location on the Halifax Waterfront, the Discovery Centre has delivered science, technology, engineering, arts and math (STEAM) education to over 80,000 visitors. The new world-class facility showcases more than 40,000 sq. ft. of state-of-the-art exhibit space, including four permanent galleries, a 6,000 sq. ft. featured exhibit space, Immersive Dome Theatre and an innovation lab.
To complement the exhibition, Discovery Centre will host an exciting array of public programs, including dinosaur-themed camps and birthdays, an adult evening event after-hours and more. Further information regarding these programs can be found at thediscoverycentre.ca.
Tyrannosaurs: Meet the Family is an exhibition developed and toured by the Australian Museum.
Key highlights of the exhibition:
- Stand next to a 5 metre high and 11 metre-long skeleton of ‘Scotty’ the Tyrannosaurus rex
- An augmented reality experience which allows visitors to interact with members of the tyrannosaur
- Gain insight into how a hip bone discovered at Dinosaur Cove reveals how tyrannosaurs used to roam around Victoria.
- Discover how recent scientific findings confirm that modern day birds evolved from dinosaurs.
- View life-sized dinosaur skeletons and a range of fossil specimens which have helped piece together the newly revised Tyrannosaurus family tree.
- Meet the Guanlong wucaii – the newly discovered feathery relative of the Tyrannosaurs rex and find out how palaeontologists made the discovery.
For more information, please contact:
Manager of Marketing & Communications
1215 Lower Water Street
Halifax, NS B3J 3S8
T 902-492-4422 (2232)