STEAM Facilitator- Part Time
Department: Science Experience and Innovation
Supervisor: Manager, Science Experience and Innovation
Position Category: Part Time
Starting Salary: $11.30 per hour, with increases
Working Hours: Variable
MISSION: To bring STEAM to life through fun, interactive learning experiences.
Working with the staff and volunteers of the Science team the main objective of the position is to deliver an exceptional experience to every Discovery Centre visitor. The STEAM FACILITATOR – PART TIME (Science Facilitator – Part Time) does this by providing an enthusiastic welcome to all visitors, encouraging their interaction with the centre’s exhibits in addition to delivering programs and demonstrations on a variety of STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math) topics.
Summary of Responsibilities
Create a safe, welcoming environment for all visitors
- Provide a warm welcome to visitors, including delivering a formal orientation to groups
- Assist in providing safety for centre visitors: monitor visitor activities and calmly follow protocol in response to an incident
- Assist in the evacuation of visitors in the event of an emergency
- Follow all safety guidelines as they relate to exhibits and programs
- Clean exhibits in assigned area on a daily basis
Host STEAM experiences for all visitors
- Be knowledgeable about Discovery Centre exhibits, programs and dome theatre shows; be comfortable sharing that information to visitors
- Engage and interact with visitors in the exhibit galleries
- Deliver STEAM themed programming; live demonstrations and hands-on activities
- Host Discovery Centre birthday party programs; setting up the party room, greeting guests and delivering interactive demonstrations
- Host evening programming as needed; for Scouting and Guiding groups, Cadets and adults, Corporate Events
- Assists with public program development
- Delivers Camp Program as required
- Assist with set up for corporate and special events
- Maintain inventory of supplies and materials, purchases supplies and materials as required,
- Assist with outreach programs (Discovery on Demand) and specialty programs as required
Contribute to the successful operation of Discovery Centre
- Follow a daily team schedule
- Regularly check Discovery Centre email and work schedule
- Participate actively in training programs, staff meetings and other learning opportunities
- Keep up to date with the Centre’s OH&S Program
- Complete reporting duties as required.
- The STEAM FACILITATOR – PART TIME (Science Facilitator – Part Time) will sometimes be required to work beyond core business hours and holidays and must be flexible in fulfilling required shifts. This may include delivering camp or outreach programs.
- Complete other tasks as assigned by the Manager, Science Experience and Innovation
The STEAM FACILITATOR – PART TIME (Science Facilitator – Part Time) will work within the Science Education Department under the supervision of the Manager of Experience and Innovation. The Science Facilitator works closely with other part time and full time staff and volunteers within this department and others to ensure an exceptional visitor experience.
- Either completion of, or current enrolment in, a post-secondary degree in a STEAM subject, Education, Communication or other relevant field, and/or a minimum of 1 year relevant experience.
- Relevant experience would include working positions related to interpretation, education, or recreational programming, especially those within science centres or museums
- Exceptional communication skills – specifically in public speaking and/or performing
- Excellent customer service skills
- Experienced working in a fast paced environment
- Able to approach problems with a creative and flexible outlook
- Demonstrated aptitude for safe practices
- A clean criminal record check and child abuse registry check are mandatory
- Valid First Aid with CPR C certification is required
- WHMIS Certification is required.
Hours of Work
Variable depending on business needs. Evening and weekend shifts as required. Shift scheduling will be assigned through the DAYFORCE workforce management software.
This position is responsible for providing a memorable STEAM experience for EVERY Discovery Centre visitor. This mandate supports the Centre’s mission: To bring STEAM to life through fun, interactive learning experiences.
Working conditions include daily contact with children and large groups of people, long periods of standing and light physical activity (moving supplies). The handling of hazardous materials related to science demonstrations (e.g. liquid Nitrogen) may be required. Cleaning and minor maintenance to exhibits forms a portion of the role.
A formal appraisal will be conducted after every 910 hours of service or yearly (whichever is soonest) and as necessitated by the Manager of Experience and Innovation.
As is usual in new employment situations, there is a required 140 hours of service probationary period during which either party may end the employment agreement, notice will be provided in writing at the time of successful completion of probation or termination of employment.
Please send your cover letter and resume to .