STEAM Facilitator – Full Time
(STAFF SCIENTIST – EARLY CHILDHOOD)
Department: Science Education
Supervisor: Manager, Science Experience and Innovation
Position Category: Full Time
Starting Salary: $27,500 Per Annum
Working Hours: 35 hours per week (Note: The position will be subject to the terms and conditions of a collective agreement between Unifor and Discovery Centre)
The STEAM FACILITATOR (Staff Scientist – Early Childhood) is a member of the Science Experience and Innovation team responsible for leading the delivery of an exceptional experience for all Discovery Centre visitors, with a focus on visitors ages 8 and under. The primary role is focused on encouraging visitor interaction with the centre’s exhibits and facilitating demonstrations and hands-on programs. The STEAM FACILITATOR (Staff Scientist – Early Childhood) has additional responsibility for keeping the visitor experience fresh; developing and delivering STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math) programs for public visitors, school groups, birthday parties, and camps. The incumbent is involved in training and coaching staff and volunteers and contributes to the successful daily operation of the Discovery Centre.
- Either completion of a university degree in a STEAM subject, Education, Communication or other relevant field, and/or 2 years relevant experience. Experience or certification in Early Childhood Education will be considered a strong asset.
- Relevant experience includes work related to interpretation, education, early childhood education, or recreational programming, experience writing interactive programs for children age 8 and under
- Exceptional communication skills – specifically in public speaking and/or performing and writing
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong leadership and organizational skills
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment
- Able to approach problems with a positive and flexible outlook
- Demonstrated aptitude for safe practices
- A clean criminal record check and child abuse registry check are mandatory, must hold or be working towards a certificate in First Aid with CPR C, a clean driving license is considered an asset
Working conditions include daily contact with children and large groups of people, long periods of standing and light physical activity (moving supplies). The handling of hazardous materials related to science demonstrations (e.g. liquid Nitrogen) may be required. Cleaning and minor maintenance to exhibits forms a portion of the role.
Please submit cover letter, resume and references as one PDF or Word document. Applications must be received on or before June 29th,2018. Submit applications to .