Steam Facilitator – Full Time (Staff Scientist-Gallery Specialist)
Department: Science Education
Supervisor: Manager, Science Experience and Innovation
Position Category: Full Time
Working Hours: 35 hours per week
MISSION: To bring STEAM to life through fun, interactive learning experiences.
The STEAM FACILITATOR is a member of the Science Experience and Innovation team responsible for leading the delivery of an exceptional experience for all Discovery Centre visitors, with a focus on our Level 2 Gallery subjects: Health, Aerospace/Flight, and Energy.
The primary role is focused on encouraging visitor interaction with the centre’s exhibits and facilitating demonstrations and hands-on programs. The STEAM FACILITATOR has additional responsibility for keeping the visitor experience fresh; developing and delivering STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math) programs for public visitors, school groups, birthday parties, and camps. The STEAM FACILITATOR is involved in training and coaching staff and volunteers, and contributes to the successful daily operation of the Discovery Centre.
- Creates a safe, welcoming environment for all
- Facilitates STEAM experiences: be knowledgeable about Discovery Centre exhibits, programs and dome theatre shows; be comfortable sharing information to visitors; deliver STEAM themed programming/Science on the Spot live demonstrations and hands-on activities, internal curriculum-based school workshop programs, camps, birthday parties; facilitate evening programming (Scouting and Guiding groups, Cadets, Corporate and adult events) as needed; clean exhibits and demonstration equipment daily.
- Continually refreshes the visitor experience: develops new demonstrations and hands-on activities relevant to Discovery Centre and departmental mission and objectives; keeps up to date in fields relevant to exhibit galleries; develops programming for PD day, Winter and March Break camps.
- Contributes to the successful operation of Discovery Centre
- Either completion of a university degree in a STEAM subject, Education, Communication or other relevant field, and/or 2 years relevant experience. Relevant experience includes work related to interpretation, education, or recreational programming
- Demonstrable background knowledge in the areas of Health, Aerospace/Flight, or Energy will be considered a strong asset
- Exceptional communication skills – specifically in public speaking and/or performing
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong leadership and organizational skills
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment
- Able to approach problems with a positive and flexible outlook
- Demonstrated aptitude for safe practices
- A clean criminal record check and child abuse registry check are mandatory
- Must hold or be working towards a certificate in First Aid with CPR C
- A clean driving license is considered an asset.
Submit resume and cover letter to . Deadline for applications is August 6th, 2018. All applications will be reviewed but only the applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.