For well over 30 years, the Discovery Centre has developed a reputation for being Nova Scotia’s leader in the delivery of exciting hands-on, minds-on science programming for young people. The Discovery Centre mission is to bring STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, the Arts and Math) to life through, fun interactive learning experiences. Through our Science Education programs, Discovery Centre encourages all Nova Scotians throughout the province to gain interest in STEAM based topics. The role of a Science Educator will be a key position in stewarding relationships with educators and the community in developing and implementing educational programs to schools and the communities across the province.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direction of the Manager of Science Education, a full-time Science Educator:
- Works as part of the programming team to develop exciting, hands-on, science-based programming that will inspire scientific literacy in young people and encourage them to see science as part of their future career
- Promote and deliver science-based programs in an engaging and upbeat manner to schools and other educational institutions as well during community events
- Assists in implementation and helps maintain the scheduling system for the programs
- Develops a method of formative and summative evaluation to be used as an assessment tool for the program
- Writes clear and concise reports on all facets of the program suitable for submission to sponsors and government agencies
- Contributes to the programming unit by performing other duties from time to time (Internal special events, Annual fundraising events such as Brain War and the Discovery Awards)
- Stewards relationships with key partners and program sponsors
A Science Educator typically works Monday to Friday and occasionally weekends and evenings as required. Overnights and extensive travel throughout the province is necessary for the position to meet its objectives.
A post-secondary degree in science, education (with a concentration in sciences) or a related field is required. At least one year of experience in a teaching/ leadership environment with a demonstrated ability to plan, manage and implement programming. A valid Driver’s Licence with a clean driving record.
- Affinity for science
- Dynamic teaching and presentation skills
- Pleasant disposition, especially when relating to children
- Ability to work under minimal supervision
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Willing to work flexible hours
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Ability to manage a budget, while meeting financial targets
- Have sufficient knowledge, skills and familiarity with the operation of computers.