Innovation Facilitator (Bilingual)
Discovery Centre Mission: To bring STEAM to life through fun, interactive learning experiences.
Department: Science Education
Supervisor: Innovation Lab Coordinator
Position Category: Part-Time/Casual
Working Hours: Variable; weekends and some evenings required
Supporting the Discovery Centre mission, the Part-Time Bilingual Innovation Facilitator (IF) is responsible for providing an exceptional experience to every visitor to the Michelin Corporate Foundation Innovation Lab. The IF provides an enthusiastic welcome to visitors, facilitating and encouraging their interaction with Innovation Lab activity stations and equipment in French and English as required. The IF maintains a safe, welcoming, creative space dedicated to hands-on STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math) education and developing the skills that foster innovation and an entrepreneurial spirit.
Summary of Responsibilities
Facilitates Innovation Lab experiences in both official languages and ensures a safe environment
- Delivers registration-based Innovation Lab programs, including guided workshops, Maker Club meets, and camp activities.
- Facilitates drop-in visitor activities, encouraging and empowering visitors to explore their own ideas and bring them to life with Innovation Lab equipment.
- Provides a warm welcome to Innovation Lab visitors.
- Assists in providing a safe environment for visitors: monitor visitor activities and calmly follow protocol in response to an incident.
- Assists in the evacuation of visitors in the event of an emergency.
- Follows safety guidelines as they relate to Innovation Lab programs and activities, equipment use, and equipment storage.
- Create safety guidelines and risk assessments for new programs.
Contributes to the successful operation of the Innovation Lab and Discovery Centre
- Liaises with Visitor Experience team, exchanging knowledge of daily activities and scheduled programs.
- Ensures Innovation Lab is presentable, tidying the space during and after activities.
- Assists Innovation Lab Coordinator with maintenance and upkeep of Innovation Lab equipment.
- Participates actively in training programs, staff meetings, and other learning opportunities.
- Keeps up to date with Discovery Centre’s OH&S Program.
- Provides support to guest presenters and volunteers in the Innovation Lab.
- Monitors consumable program supply levels, informing Innovation Lab Coordinator when more are needed.
- Regularly checks Discovery Centre email and work schedule.
Continually refresh Innovation Lab experience
- Works with Innovation Lab Coordinator to ensure Innovation Lab activities are refreshed, assisting with program development, testing, and evaluation.
- Works with Innovation Lab Coordinator to research and identify equipment and materials for new programs.
The IF will sometimes be required to work holidays and beyond core business hours and is required to be flexible in fulfilling required shifts. This may include delivering camp or outreach programs - training would be provided. Completes other tasks as assigned by the Innovation Lab Coordinator.
Under the direction of the Innovation Lab Coordinator, the Part-Time Innovation Facilitator collaborates with the Visitor Experience team, Science Education team, Asset Management team, Operations team, and Marketing and Communications team to meet Discovery Centre’s mandate.
- Completion of or current enrolment in a post-secondary program in a STEAM subject, Education, Communication or relevant field, and/or a minimum of 1 year relevant experience.
- Relevant experience includes working positions related to interpretation, education, or recreational programming, especially those within science centres or museums.
- Exceptional communication skills - specifically in public speaking and/or performing.
- Fluency in both French and English required.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills; a genuine love of engaging with people of all ages and abilities.
- Experience working in a fast paced environment.
- Computer literacy and a demonstrated interest in creative making, tech, and learning new skills.
- Specialized knowledge (e.g. coding, visual arts, woodworking, robotics, or sewing) an asset.
- A clean criminal record check and child abuse registry check are mandatory.
- Valid First Aid with CPR C certification an asset.
Hours of Work
Variable depending on operational needs. Evening and weekend shifts as required.
This position is responsible for fulfilling the Innovation Lab’s mandate and the Discovery Centre’s mission.
Working conditions include daily contact with children, youth and large groups of people, long periods of standing and light physical activity (moving supplies). The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Tools and equipment will be an integral aspect of the Lab operation, and training for safe use and storage will be provided. Tidying and light cleaning of the space forms a portion of this role.
Performance Indicators A formal appraisal will be completed annually or as necessitated by the Innovation Lab Coordinator.
As is usual in new employment situations, there is a required 3 month probationary period during which either party may end the employment agreement. Notice will be provided in writing at the time of successful completion of probation.
How to Apply
Discovery Centre is openly accepting resumes for this position and will keep resumes on file. Only candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please submit a cover letter and resume, stating which position you are applying for, to Ryan Jameson at .