Front Desk Clerk
The Front Desk/Retail Clerk position is an important role within the Discovery Centre as it is our first point of contact with our members and visitors. It is important to be friendly and approachable as we welcome many visitors from around the world of all ages. The Front Desk/Retail Clerk requires a breadth of knowledge of the Centre and its offerings as they are an integral point of contact for visitors. On occasions, the Front Desk/Retail Clerk will receive informal feedback and must communicate that to their supervisor to the appropriate department. A successful candidate for the Front Desk/Retail Clerk position is outgoing, organized, diplomatic, creative, presents a professional image, and works well within a team environment. This position also is responsible for taking Discovery Shop purchases and maintaining a presentable retail environment.
Discovery Centre’s mission is to bring STEAM to life through fun, interactive learning experiences.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direction of the Manager of Operations, the Front Desk/Retail Clerk:
- Assist with the implementing a full range of systemic processes to provide effective services to visitors including birthday and camp intake procedures, orientation and familiarization
- Communicates in-person, by phone, e-mail and letters with clients to address standard operational questions and to assist in client decision-making
- Stays current with all Centre activities including, but not limited to, public programs, exhibits, birthday parties & special events, etc., and is completely conversant in all pertinent details such as dates, times, costs and requirements
- Works with the programming department concerning birthday parties and camp arrivals/departures takes payments for these programs and provides receipts as requested
- Processes payments and completes daily cash opening & shut-down procedures
- Reports on attendance, bookings and client satisfaction
- Assists with training of staff in all aspects of the front desk assists with interviewing and selection
- Assists with the maintenance of the membership including in-take, data capture, renewal
- Supports the promotion of the centre through maintaining the twitter account in collaboration with the marketing team.
- Maintains the front desk and reception area in a professional and presentable manner
- Performs Discovery Shop retail clerk duties, assists with shop promotions on weekends provides customers with information on products that may be of interest.
- Other duties as required
The Front Desk/Retail Clerk must be able to work weekends on an ongoing basis. This position leads the front desk area and ensures weekends run smoothly.
At least one year of university, plus experience /or education in a retail services position. Demonstrated customer service skills and financial skills.
Work Skills and Abilities
- Able to work with minimal supervision
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Financial skills
- Able to maintain calm demeanour under pressure
- Able to work in a team setting
- Creative and responsive in problem-solving situations
- Adaptable to changing conditions in the workplace
- Organized and detail oriented
- Retail experience
- Computer skills – Microsoft Office – Word, Excel, Access, E-mail, Web literate, Raisers Edge
- Writing & Social Media skills – Twitter, Pinterest and Facebook
How to Apply:
All applicants are thanked in advance for their interest. Only applicants chosen for an interview will be contacted.