Dome Theatre Presenter (Part-Time)
Department: Discovery Centre Science Education
Supervisor: Coordinator, Visitor Experience
Position Category: Part-time
Starting Salary: Dependent on experience
Working Hours: variable hours
Start Date: June 2017
Working with the staff and volunteers of the Visitor Experience team the main objective of the Part-Time Dome Theatre Presenter (DTP) is to deliver an exceptional experience for all visitors to Discovery Centre’s 65 seat dome theatre. The DTP does this by delivering live, presenter led astronomy shows and automated fulldome films within the dome theatre to our general public visitors.
Summary of Responsibilities:
Create a safe, welcoming environment for all visitors
- Provide a warm welcome to visitors, including delivering a formal orientation to groups
- Be knowledgeable about Discovery Centre exhibits, programs and dome theatre shows; be comfortable sharing that information to visitors
- Assist in providing safety for centre visitors: monitor visitor activities and calmly follow protocol in response to an incident
- Assist in the evacuation of visitors in the event of an emergency
- Follow all safety guidelines as they relate to equipment and programs
Deliver Dome Theatre experiences for all visitors
- Present live, interactive astronomy shows to public audiences
- Deliver automated fulldome films to all audiences
- Facilitate evening programming as needed; for Scouting and Guiding groups, Cadets and adults
Contribute to the successful operation of Discovery Centre
- Follow a daily team schedule
- Regularly check Discovery Centre email and work schedule
- Participate actively in training programs, staff meetings and other learning opportunities
- Keep up to date with the centre’s OH&S program
The Part-Time DTP will be required to work beyond core business hours and holidays and is required to be flexible in fulfilling required shifts. This may include weekend or evening programs and corporate events. Complete other tasks as assigned by the Coordinator, Visitor Experience or Full-Time Dome Theatre Presenter.
Under the direction of the Coordinator, Visitor Experience and the Full-Time Dome Theatre Presenter the Dome Theatre Presenter (part-time) collaborates with the wider Visitor Experience Team, Science Education Team, Asset Management Team, Operations Team, Marketing and Communications Manager to ensure an exceptional visitor experience.
- Either enrolment in a university degree in Astronomy or related disciplines and/or demonstrated commitment to amateur astronomy
- Experience presenting or teaching astronomy content, especially within science centres or planetaria is desirable
- Exceptional communication skills – specifically in public speaking or performing
- Excellent customer service skills
- Experience working with audio-visual equipment
- Able to approach problems with a creative and flexible outlook
- Demonstrated aptitude for safe practices
- A clean criminal record check and child abuse registry check are mandatory
- Valid First Aid with CPR C certification is desirable
Hours of Work:
Variable depending on business needs. Evening and weekend shifts as required.
This position is responsible for fulfilling the Visitor Experience mandate: A memorable STEAM experience for EVERY Discovery Centre visitor. This mandate supports the Centre’s mission.
Working conditions include daily contact with children and large groups of people, long periods of standing and light physical activity (moving supplies). Cleaning and minor maintenance to the dome theatre and its equipment forms a portion of the role.
A formal appraisal will be conducted after every 910 hours of service or yearly (whichever is soonest) and as necessitated by the Coordinator, Visitor Experience.
As is usual in new employment situations, there is a required 140 hours of service probationary period during which either party may end the employment agreement, notice will be provided in writing at the time of successful completion of probation or termination of employment.
How to Apply:
Subject line: THEATRE PRESENTER (PT)
ATTENTION: Ruth Munro
Please include a cover letter and resume.
All applicants are thanked in advance for their interest. Only applicants chosen for interview will be contacted.