Dome Theatre Presenter – Part Time/Casual
Department: Science Education
Supervisor: Manager, Science Experience and Innovation
Position Category: Part Time/Casual
Working Hours: Variable
Discovery Centre Mission: To bring STEAM to life through fun, interactive learning experiences.
Working with the staff and volunteers of the Science Experience team the main objective of the DOME THEATRE PRESENTER – PART TIME/CASUAL (Science Facilitator – Dome Theatre (Part Time/Casual)) is to deliver an exceptional experience for all visitors to Discovery Centre’s 65 seat dome theatre. The Dome Theatre Presenter does this by delivering live, presenter-led astronomy shows and automated fulldome films within the dome theatre to our general public visitors, school groups, birthday parties, and camps.
Summary of Responsibilities
Create a safe, welcoming environment for all visitors
- Provide a warm welcome to visitors, including delivering a formal orientation to groups
- Be knowledgeable about Discovery Centre exhibits, programs and dome theatre shows; be comfortable sharing that information to visitors
- Assist in providing safety for centre visitors: monitor visitor activities and calmly follow protocol in response to an incident
- Assist in the evacuation of visitors in the event of an emergency
- Follow all safety guidelines as they relate to equipment and programs
Deliver Dome Theatre experiences for all visitors
- Present live, interactive astronomy shows to public audiences, school groups, birthday parties, and camps.
- Deliver automated fulldome films to all audiences
- Facilitate evening programming as needed; for Scouting and Guiding groups, Cadets and adults
Contribute to the successful operation of Discovery Centre
- Follow a daily team schedule
- Regularly check Discovery Centre email and work schedule
- Participate actively in training programs, staff meetings and other learning opportunities
- Keep up to date with the centre’s OH&S program
The Dome Theatre Presenter (Science Facilitator – Dome Theatre) will be required to work beyond core business hours and holidays and is required to be flexible in fulfilling required shifts. This may include weekend or evening programs and corporate events. Complete other tasks as assigned by the Manager, Science Experience and Innovation or Full-Time Dome Theatre Presenter (Staff Scientist – Dome Theatre).
Under the direction of the Manager, Science Experience and Innovation and the Full-Time Dome Theatre Presenter (Staff Scientist – Dome Theatre). The Dome Theatre Presenter – Part Time (Science Facilitator – Dome Theatre) collaborates within and across departments to ensure an exceptional visitor experience.
- Either enrolment in a university degree in Astronomy or related disciplines and/or demonstrated commitment to amateur astronomy
- Experience presenting or teaching astronomy content, especially within science centres or planetaria is desirable
- Exceptional communication skills – specifically in public speaking or performing
- Excellent customer service skills
- Experience working with audio-visual equipment
- Able to approach problems with a creative and flexible outlook
- Demonstrated aptitude for safe practices
- A clean criminal record check and child abuse registry check are mandatory
- Valid First Aid with CPR C certification is desirable
Hours of Work
Variable depending on business needs. Evening and weekend shifts as required.
This position is responsible for providing a memorable STEAM experience for EVERY Discovery Centre visitor. This mandate supports the Centre’s mission.
Working conditions include daily contact with children and large groups of people, long periods of standing and light physical activity (moving supplies). Cleaning and minor maintenance to the dome theatre and its equipment forms a portion of the role.
A formal appraisal will be conducted after every 910 hours of service or yearly (whichever is soonest) and as necessitated by the Manager, Science Experience and Innovation.
As is usual in new employment situations, there is a required 140 hours of service probationary period during which either party may end the employment agreement, notice will be provided in writing at the time of successful completion of probation or termination of employment.
Please send your cover letter and resume to .