Dome Theatre Presenter (Bilingual)
Department: Discovery Centre Science Education
Supervisor: Coordinator, Visitor Experience
Position Category: Full Time (Summer)
Starting Salary: $12.50/Hour, 12 weeks, June 12 to Sept 1, 2017.
Working Hours: 35 hours per week
The Bilingual Dome Theatre Presenter (DTP) is a member of the Visitor Experience team responsible for the delivery of an exceptional experience for all visitors to Discovery Centre’s 65 seat dome theatre, in particular its francophone visitors.The main objective of the Bilingual DTP is to deliver live, presenter-led shows and automated fulldome films within the theatre for visitors in both official languages. The Bilingual DTP will also provide improved service to francophone visitors, and foster increased use of French in the centre.
Summary of Responsibilities:
Create a safe, welcoming environment for all visitors
- Provide a warm welcome to visitors, including delivering a formal orientation to groups, in French and English as required
- Be knowledgeable about Discovery Centre exhibits, programs and dome theatre shows; be comfortable sharing that information to visitors
- Assist in providing safety for centre visitors: monitor visitor activities and calmly follow protocol in response to an incident
- Assist in the evacuation of visitors in the event of an emergency
- Follow all safety guidelines as they relate to equipment and programs
Deliver Dome Theatre experiences for all visitors
- Present live, interactive astronomy shows to public audiences in both French and English
- Develop Astronomy program materials in French
- Deliver automated fulldome films to all audiences
Contribute to the successful operation of Discovery Centre
- Make recommendations for and contribute to bilingual initiatives in the Centre
- Follow a daily team schedule
- Regularly check Discovery Centre email and work schedule
- Participate actively in training programs, staff meetings and other learning opportunities
- Keep up to date with the centre’s OH&S program
The Bilingual DTP may be required to work beyond core business hours and holidays and is required to be flexible in fulfilling required shifts. This may include weekend or evening programs and corporate events. Complete other tasks as assigned by the Coordinator, Visitor Experience or Full-Time Dome Theatre Presenter.
Under the direction of the Coordinator, Visitor Experience and the Full-Time Dome Theatre Presenter, the Bilingual Dome Theatre Presenter collaborates with the wider Visitor Experience Team, Science Education Team, Asset Management Team, Operations Team, Marketing and Communications Manager to ensure an exceptional visitor experience.
- Either demonstrated commitment to amateur astronomy and/or enrolment in a university degree in Astronomy or related disciplines
- Bilingualism in English and French (spoken) is required
- Must be eligible for the Nova Scotia Student Summer Skills Incentive (SKILL) Program*
- Experience presenting or teaching astronomy content, especially within science centres, museums or planetaria is considered an asset
- Exceptional communication skills – specifically in public speaking or performing
- Excellent customer service skills
- Experience working with audio-visual equipment
- Able to approach problems with a creative and flexible outlook
- Demonstrated aptitude for safe practices
- A clean criminal record check and child abuse registry check are mandatory
- Valid First Aid with CPR C certification is desirable
Hours of Work:
Full-time hours (35 hours per week). Evening and weekend shifts as required.
This position is responsible for fulfilling the Visitor Experience mandate: A memorable STEAM experience for EVERY Discovery Centre visitor. This mandate supports the Centre’s mission.
Working conditions include daily contact with children and large groups of people, long periods of standing and light physical activity (moving supplies). Cleaning and minor maintenance to the dome theatre and its equipment forms a portion of the role.
Along with periodic observations, one mid-term performance evaluation will be conducted by the Coordinator, Visitor Experience, as well as a final evaluation at the end of the placement.
How to Apply:
All candidates must qualify for the Nova Scotia Summer Student Skills Development program.
- Registered at a post-secondary institution and returning to the same institution for the Fall of the current year.
- Registered at a post-secondary institution and transferring to another in the Fall of the current year.
- A graduating grade 12 student who is enrolled full-time in a university or college program in the coming fall term.
Subject line: BILINGUAL DOME THEATRE PRESENTER ATTENTION: Ruth Munro
Please include a cover letter and resume
All applicants are thanked in advance for their interest. Only applicants chosen for interview will be contacted. A full commitment to the employment dates is required. Other than regular weekends additional time off during the summer will not be granted.